What Is A Catalina?
If you are a frequent reader of ClipperGirl’s Saving Spot, you have seen me use the term “CAT” or “Catalina”. I thought I would answer a few questions about catalinas for couponing newbies.
Catalina Marketing is an advertising company that is responsible for grocery promotions like the “Buy 5 Kraft products, Get $5 on your next order” and the drug store promotions like Walgreens Register Rewards.
Catalina machines are generally found next to the cash register. The machines print out ads, announce upcoming promotions and OYNO (on your next order coupons), store coupons and manufacturers coupons. They are found at grocery stores, drug stores and recently at KMart. Catalina coupons general have a short life span and expire within 2-4 weeks.
How do you know about Catalina Promotions?
- Ann at Coupons, Deals and More has an inside track to upcoming catalina promotions and she gives me a heads up which I post.
- Katie from Coupon Katarina keeps me up to date on Kroger catalina promotions.
- Many online forums such as We Use Coupons, Hot Coupon World and A Full Cup keep us up to date.
- As you are shopping at your favorite store, check the shelves for special tags that will state that a product is part of a special promotion.
How can I make sure this transaction go smoothly?
- Check the machine to see that the green light is on. This should insure that the machine is working and that it will produce a catalina.
- Make sure that you have met the requirements of the promotion. Does the promotion require a specific size or quantity of products? specific dollar amount?
What do I do if the catalina does not print?
- Speak to someone in Customer Service. Many times they are familiar with the promotion. You can show them that you have purchased the required products and they will give you cash back. (I did this during the Kraft Cheese promotion at Kroger recently).
- Call Catalina Marketing at 1-888-8COUPON (1-888-826-8766). They will generally ask for information off of your receipt and mail you a coupon within a few days.
Two points that I would like to make about catalina coupons are:
- Some OYNO coupons can be “rolled” (used on a subsequent transactions with the same products), while others cannot. You must read the fine print on the coupon. P&G does not allow their OYNO coupons to be used to purchase more P&G products. We want to be sure to abide by the manufacturer’s restrictions in order to make sure that we continue to get these great promotions.
- Secondly, because catalina promotions are advertising for manufacturer’s, many times the promotions are running simultaneously at all grocery stores that have catalina machines . . . so, if you read on a forum or blog that Kroger stores are issuing catalina coupons for Kraft cheese, you’ll want to check to see if your store is offering the same promotion.
Catalina coupons used with store sales and manufacturer’s coupons are a great way to save even more money and to get products at rock bottom prices.